- ) Minidumps on Start
- Make sure that the version of Maelstrom you are playing is the correct version for Sins base game. Also, make sure that Sins is patched to the latest version and the Maelstom mod you have playing correspnds to this patch.
- Some of your game files on your local drive may have been corrupted or have failed to update properly. To resolve the issue, if you are using steam – Go into the Steam application, Right-clicking on the game you wish to update, Select “Properties” in the pull-down menu, Choose “Local Files” – (the third option, horizontally), Select “Verify integrity of game cache”.
- The download of the mod could be corrupted. Try using a download management tool just as "jdownloader" or "DownThemAll" to download files if you are having problems.
- ) Frequent Minidumps
- Make sure you are using the recommended "Graphics Effects Settings" (GES) as stated in the "Installation Notes" that are downloaded with the mod.
- Alternatively, try reducing your GES until it stops. A good place to start are the default settings.
- The majority of crashes are caused by the game running out of RAM or video memory. You can monitor the RAM usage of Sins in the "Windows Task Manager" (ALT+CTRL+DEL).
- Note that Sins may not update the graphics effects until you restart.
- ) Sins Immediately Crashes (Black Screen Crash on Startup)
- This is caused by outdated video drivers, typically seen with laptop users who have both Intel and Nvidia chipsets.
- Make sure you are using the latest video drivers - especially if you're playing on a laptop!
- ) Run Time Error (This application requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusal way)
- This error occurs when your video card runs out of video texture memory.
- You may have to tweak your graphics settings, reduce them, to fix this issue.
- Note that alt-tabbing to the desktop and getting back to the game can make this problem worse.
FAQ Game Lagging
- ) Here are some suggestions for Sins setup
- Reduce Graphics Effects Settings, in particular set "Bump" options to "Low".
- Turn off as many empire tree and cargo ship icons , exhaust trail detail, planet elevators, etc.
- For new games go to game options and reduce the ships speed option to low.
- Having lots of strikecraft late game can cause large amounts of lag as well.
- Try playing with smaller fleet sizes or smaller maps
- Stop playing on x4 speed
- Turn the pirates off
- ) Here are some general suggestions
- On multiple GPU computers, turning off SLI will improve Sins performance.
- Turning off background programs, like RAID monitors, auto updaters for programs like adobe and divx, etc
- Single/dual core CPU with a high clock speed will perform better then a multicore CPU with slower clock speeds.
- ) Multiplayer Games Desync on Autosave
Developers are working on a hotfix to address it, but in the meantime all players are recommended to use default autosave settings.
- ) How To Fix ‘Your mesh files differ from the host’
If you get this error while joining a multiplayer, you may need to uninstall, delete your Sins folder entirely (do this manually) and re-install to fix this issue.
- ) "I downloaded this mod and enabled it but I can't seem to choose any new races even though it is enabled"
If the checksum on your enabled mod is 0 then you have the mod buried one directory too deep ... this happens because of how unzipping programs work these days, they can create a directory that is the same name as the archive and unzipp everything into it. The mod directory is inside that directory. That's the one you want.
- ) What are the difference between the Standard series and Expansion series?
The Maelstrom Standard series and SoaSE Maelstrom Expansion series are two separate and complete mods.
The Expansion series have Titan Flagships, Dreadnought Capital ships, expanded Pirates and more challenging Militia ...
whereas the Standard series do not. As such the expansion series have very different game-play dynamics compared to the standard series. In the Expansion series the Pirates are more aggressive with Capitalships capable of colonizing and Carrier Cruisers. Finally beware of dangerous asteroids that fill the gravity well of various planets, they can severely damage fleets through repeated collisions.
- ) Can I create custom maps for Maelstrom using Galaxy Forge?
Yes, replace the GalaxySenarioDef file in the Galaxy Forge program file with the GalaxySenarioDef file provided with the Maelstrom mod (The file "GalaxyScenarioDef.galaxyScenarioDef" is in the Maelstrom "GameInfo" directory). More specifically, replace the GalaxyScenarioDef in GalaxyForge with the one from Maelstrom ... then make your new map with Galaxy Forge.